Monday 14 December 2015

Day 25 - Smugly Social

So, all last week I agonised about my first sober function....

It was fabulous! I went for a curry with my colleagues, I was Des - designated driver- and I had a lovely sober time. Following the advice of Wine Bitch (thanks for that, by the way) I got chatting to some lovely people I don't know well and found out loads about them. One young man in particular revealed to me that he still daren't come into the staffroom after having worked at school for three months! I really started to think about other people's perspectives and how sometimes, our heads can be so far up our own arses, we don't think about helping others as much as we should. Especially when we are drinking!

The journey there was white knuckle all the way. I was driving two people from my team to the restaurant and they both live in quite rural areas. The restaurant itself is also quite remote and while I had never been there before, the other two had. There was a freezing fog rolling off the hills, lots of flood water and it was pitch black! I was nervous I'd miss my turning.

I said, "When I was told that we were eating at Raj's Spice, I kept looking out for it whenever I drove down the main road, but it seemed really well hidden. I finally managed to spot it yesterday!"

"Nonsense!" My friends heckled me. "It's really obvious from the main road, there's a great big sign and you can't miss it!"

I would have begged to differ as it took me three attempts of driving down the road to discover where it was; masked by trees and a lake. Being the out of towner, I simply sighed and deferred to their superior local knowledge.

"Ha!" The older of my two colleagues laughed, "The last time I came about ten years ago with some friends, we saw the sign, turned in and then realised we were on somebody's drive! It was pitch black and there were great big ditches either side of the driveway so it was impossible to turn round. Fuck! That was awkward!"

The younger lady piped up, "Do you know what? Exactly the same thing happened to me and some of my mates. This really arsey woman came out and started shouting at us to move off the f..."

"Turn right! We're here!" Shouted the first colleague. And sure enough, the florescent Raj's Spice sign flickered before us, so I took a harsh right into the gateway.... straight onto a very long, narrow driveway leading up to a farmhouse. There were deep ditches either side, there was no room to turn around and the curtains in the living room window of the farmhouse started twitching violently!

Twenty minutes and a fifteen point turn later, we arrived to join the rest of our staff for popadoms and pickles. A shaky start to what was otherwise a very enjoyable evening.

I enjoyed my sober evening so much that I had a sober dinner in town with H on the Friday, and on Saturday, I drank lime and soda all night in the local pub while my dad downed four pints! Until the last few weeks, I would have matched him pint for pint and then opened a bottle of wine when I got in! 

The night with my Dad was a real turning point. I think that it is from him I inherit my love of alcohol. He has no stop button either. The realisation that I could sit and have one of the best nights in the pub I've ever had with my Dad, while sober, has been one hell of an eye opener! Long may it continue. I'm a little embarrassed to say it but, I actually felt dead proud driving him home! 

I had a call from the childrens' school today to say that middle child was poorly, so I've had the afternoon off. I feel like I'm more or less up to date with things so I'm now snuggled in bed with child number 3 (daughter, 4 years old) who is exhibiting similar symptoms, so I think a cuppa and a chapter of my book before bed is in order.

Happy sober evening!!
Zx

P.S. I've just eaten a very disappointing fig roll. I love fig rolls! I hate it when that happens! Best stick to the custard creams.

PPS. My spotty chin is now back to former glory. I no longer look like the youth from The Simpsons!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, good for you! Awesome!. Interesting, what we discover on our sober journey, isn't it. I'm still discovering...xx

    ReplyDelete