Sunday 27 December 2015

Last Christmas I gave you my arse...

First sober Christmas done and dusted! 

I had two minor slip ups; neither of which involved me getting drunk, both of which left me feeling horrendously ill the next day (my body obviously has learnt to reject the poison!). They were very important and valuable lessons in what my alcohol trigger points are an how to avoid them. 

The first slip occurred the night before Christmas Eve. I had been invited to a "Staff Meeting" of my local Costcutter and they always tend to be boozy affairs. Obviously, I don't work at Costcutter, I just know the staff really well through going in there daily to buy wine so I always get invited to their nights in the pub.

It was a weird night and fate works in mysterious ways. I'd promised myself that after 34 days of sobriety I would allow myself a "treat". However, I think that I was just worried that as my relationship with this group of friends is based upon booze, I would have nothing to talk to them about if I wasn't drinking. Anyway, I needn't have worried. As I embarked upon my third drink of the evening, I received a phone call to go home immediately, H had fallen ill and the kids we running amok! 

My second slip was last night - I had been feeling tired all day and couldn't go anywhere because of the flooding. Being very bored and fed up, I jumped at the chance to have a glass of wine. It tasted horrible, I didn't enjoy it and it left me wondering yet again.... what am I looking for when I drink?

Anyway, I've now learnt to avoid excessive rest, boredom and the company of people with which I have mainly drinking in common! 

I have to go and tend to Grandma now. She's currently performing a striptease in my lounge and the curtains are open so I'd best hurry before she scares the shit out of the neighbours! 

Part 2 of this post to follow shortly!


No comments:

Post a Comment